Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 2, 2013



Another cold morning out there at Founders! High of 30 degrees. Cloudy, windy and snow at times.

Mark was back on the sidewalk after a month of doing pro-life work elsewhere. It was good to see him. I briefly met a woman who was at the SWC training class, Susan.

I also had fellow saints from my church out there with me (Tim and Christina, Luke and Laura), along with the lovely Charity and Elizabeth who came all the way from Akron to visit and observe.

Mark was the only seasoned sidewalk counselor there that day, so Laura, Christina and I got our feet wet for sure! Charity was even calling out to the people, offering to help.

Mark stayed in the back alley with Susan and Tim for a bit. Laura, Charity, Elizabeth, Luke and I were up front. Christina switched out with Tim and came up front. Christina was loosing her voice but still attempted to call out and offer help.

Again, a lot of cold hearts. A lot of weak men coming in with their ( I assume) significant others to slaughter their child. A lot of weak men not wanting to deal with the consequences/ responsibilities of their foolishness and sin.
Tim called out to one man telling him he should protect his girl and not go in there. The guy responded, “I am.”

Mark came out front to see how we were doing for a minute and talked to a man who was “just there for his friend”.
Mark started off by asking him if he knew why we were out here. (also, I’m always impressed when people actually do take time to listen and talk with us. The guy just had a hoodie on)
Mark showed him the fetal model of a 12 week old baby and explained an abortion procedure to him. He also explained that even though the guy said he doesn’t really support abortion, he is supporting it by taking his friend to this place. Mark pressed him further about abortion being murder, they guy responded with, “well, it’s a social issue and everybody has their own opinions.”
He didn’t take any of the literature we offered to him.

We did get literature into quite a few people’s hands, which that always gives me a glimmer of hope. They’re in the waiting room for at least an hour, I’m hoping they read it.
Two women walked up and I saw they had gotten literature from Mark and Susan in the back. I encouraged them to please read that information because it talks about thing they may not tell you in there. Later I found out one of those women had come to Founders for an abortion, but changed her mind. She even showed Mark pictures of her baby. But she was there to support her friend.
Just because someone chooses life for their child, doesn’t mean they are pro life.

One man came out of the building several times on his phone. His back was facing me and he was completely ignoring me, but I still called out to him. I said what a blessing their child could be to another family who cannot have children.

There was a gold Chevy Impala that pulled up front and the couple just sat in their car for a long time. They finally got out and started walking toward the building. Laura asked what they were coming in for. The guy said, “Man, I don’t even know why she’s here, what are you comin’ here for?”. She said an ultrasound. They walked in the door, and walked back out. I don’t even think the door had time to shut before they walked back out. Laura showed the guy the brochure about Kinder. She also told him if they get an ultrasound here, they might pressure her to have an abortion. They walked back to the car and we thanked him for stopping to talk with us.
Elizabeth said she felt a warmth come over her. Charity and I both kind of had a similar sensation. Holy Spirit moving? I think so! J
 They sat out in their car again for a long time. Charity and I walked up to their car and asked if we could talk, if they had any questions. They guy said no.
They sat in their car for a bit longer then drove off.

Turn-away?

I really don’t know. I hope so.

We also met a girl and her boyfriend. She was getting birth control and said she would be right back to talk to us. It was about 5 minutes later and she came up to us. She said she is pro life. She just moved here and she said this was the first place that popped up to get cheap birth control. I told her she may want to try Franklin County Board of Health to see if she can get it elsewhere, because by going to Founders for birth control, she’s keeping them in business and her money is going towards abortions.
She told us she had two boys, one died ( yea, she just told us that like nothing, and I wasn’t really sure if I should ask her about how it happened and all that.), and her other boy, her mom adopted because at the time she had an abusive/alcoholic boyfriend.
Charity asked her if she knew Jesus. She said yes, she was a Christian. She said, “I know I don’t look like one, but I am and go to church.” She had really short bleach blond hair, a tattoo on her neck and a dog collar.
I told her about the sidewalk counseling training class, and that it would be helpful to have people out here like her who have given their babies up for adoption and all that. She said she was interested in the class and liked what we were doing. I gave her my name, number and email address. I also gave her the website for GCRTL.
We thanked her for talking with us and she went on her way.

It  was about noon after we finished talking with her. So we all prayed together and left.


It’s so funny how bold we think we are until we’re actually faced head on with the situation. All week I had been praying and thinking of things to say to people and Scripture to recite. I was READY! I knew the Lord was going to be with us and I was ready to take on whatever came at me!!
 
Then I got on the sidewalk.
And I’m terrified. 

People are coming in and I’m forgetting what the heck to say!

It was hard for me to not feel like a broken record. But Laura reminded me that it may be the 10th time I’m saying this, but it’s the first time those people are hearing it.

It is frustrating being out there and not knowing what people are coming in for. You can normally tell when a woman is coming in for an abortion because she’s wearing loose fitting pants and has a bag with her. Other than that, you don’t know if they’re here for a consultation, or if it’s a post abortion follow up.

There was a woman that was dressed as if she was coming in for an abortion. It looked like it could have been her dad taking her in. They were inside for a couple hours. When they came out, I asked if we could pray with them. There is forgiveness and hope in Jesus and she wouldn’t have to live with a lifetime of guilt and regret, that His grace is sufficient. They kept on walking as if I wasn’t there.

You really do come into contact with people that are completely opposite of you.
It was beautiful to watch my sister talk to a big black man about Kinder down the road. She stood right next to him, looking him in the eye. I knew she was out of her comfort zone, and making a deliberate effort to do so. “… but the righteous are bold as a lion” Prov. 28:1

I feel like it wasn’t long after that another car pulled up and another sizable black man got out of the car. Thuggish ruggish he was. His hands were covered with tattoos, I offered him the literature, he glared at me as he walked passed, not saying a word.

It’s hard to look people in the eye out there. You see their pain, their anger, their hopelessness. Part of me wanted to look at the ground while he walked by me. But those people need to see my eyes. I want to offer them help, hope. I pray that is conveyed in my eyes.

I have to take a moment to commend my friends Charity and Elizabeth for waging war in the cold. I love that Charity jumped right in, calling out to people, on her knees praying on the cold sidewalk. Their love for the Lord and passion for protecting the unborn and those women was obvious by them simply being out there on a day like that.

Kudos ladies. 


It was definitely a good training day. Next week there will be more seasoned counselors that I will be able to work along side with and not just observe. I’m looking forward to that!

I am so thankful the Lord provided me this opportunity to serve these women and unborn babies.
The victory is already won, and Christ is still reigning on His throne, but we still have to fight in the battle against the seed of the serpent.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Ladies having tea at Zen Cha after serving at the Mill.





No comments:

Post a Comment